We can talk about spirituality or yoga or meditation or mindfulness all day, but life has a way of testing whether our understanding is superficial, or thorough. There’s a famous story about Naropa meeting a wise old woman who tested him on this point.
What I will say is that fear is a doozy. We’ve got to breathe through it, but we’ve also got to get into self-inquiry, and discover what it is we’re really afraid of or anxious and worried about.
“If something is wrong, fix it now. But train yourself not to worry, worry fixes nothing.”~ Ernest Hemingway
“It is not work that kills men; it is worry. Work is healthy; you can hardly put more upon a man than he can bear. Worry is the rust upon the blade. It is not the movement that destroys the machinery but the friction.” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” ~ Marcus Aurelius
The Serenity Prayer.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
“90% of the things you worry about are out of your control so it’s not helpful to worry. The other 10% you can control so do something about it instead of worrying.”
“I’ve lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.” ~ Mark Twain
The Buddhist rule re: Worrying is simple: don’t.
Or, as Shantideva said more eloquently,
If it can be fixed; why worry?
If it can’t be fixed, what’s the point of worrying?
Or, more properly: “If a cure exists, why worry? If no cure exists, what use is there to worry?”
“Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength.” ~ Corrie ten Boom
“If it can be solved, theres no need to worry, and if it can’t be solved, worry is of no use.” ~ Dalai Lama XIV
Cancer survival rates dramatically increase when the disease is caught early, but there has not been an effective, non-invasive test that will detect most types of cancer early.
Now, an international team of researchers has developed a blood test that can diagnose certain cancers years before symptoms occur.
"What we showed is: up to four years before these people walk into the hospital, there are already signatures in their blood that show they have cancer," study coauthor and University of California bioengineer Kun Zhang told Scientific American. "That's never been done before."
The test is part of a larger effort to create a "liquid biopsy" for early cancer detection, The Guardian explained. While other studies have reported positive results for blood tests that detect cancer relatively early, few can detect it before any symptoms develop.
But the new test, called PanSeer, detected cancer in 95 percent of asymptomatic patients who went on to receive a diagnosis.
The study, published in Nature Communications Tuesday, is also unique because of how the test was developed, Scientific American explained.
By Alan Dupont
The rift between the United States and China threatens to become a chasm. Barely a day passes without some tit-for-tat exchange of barbs, accusations, or actions designed to make life difficult for the other country or to trumpet the superiority of their respective political systems.
The United States has castigated China for the forced sterilization of Uyghur women; lobbied Europe to ban Chinese security screening firm Nuctech; imposed visa restrictions on Chinese officials held responsible for Hong Kong’s new national security law; and placed 90-day limits on work visas for Chinese journalists.
My story will be that John Harvard gave it to me. ‘Who’s that?’ I asked, pointing at a bronze bust in the reading room where I had arrived to give my lecture, and was told that it was the university’s founder, John Harvard. ‘Damn,’ I said. ‘It never even occurred to me that Harvard was a guy.’ It was the night of 3 March, and travelling didn’t seem so foolhardy as it would even a week later; at that point the accepted wisdom was that hand sanitiser was the great necessity, and that the virus was being mostly spread by touch. (On a Q&A message board I frequent, there were multiple questions in those early days from people desperately wondering how to stop picking their noses. Something was coming for us eventually.) It was a pleasure to be in the reading room, a pleasure to note that the carpet was ugly, a pleasure to learn that Harvard was a guy, a pleasure to send the controlled flow of my voice into the microphone and out to the hundred or so people in the room. The fireplace was big enough to roast me in; there was a statue of Kronos in the corner, spreading inflexible wings from a soft central nakedness. It was, according to the new formula, the last normal thing I did.